1. Clogged plumbing pipes/sewer lines- Landlord not responsible for obstructions caused by tenant- AVOID $500 Roto Rooter call.
2. Cesspools- after 3 months landlord not responsible for pumping out cesspool
*Always replace flapper so toilets don’t run and fill cesspool
3. Utilities-Gas, oil ,electric, water, heat -Not included in lease- prevents tenant from putting heat at 90 degrees in dead of winter with windows wide open or avoid unexpected high electric bill when tenants run electric components night and day.(like when a tenant runs an unlicensed business from your unit with free rent and utilities)
*Most tenants qualify for reduced or FREE utilities through HEAP
4. Heating System- landlord responsible for boiler but tenant pays for service contract. Avoid 2:00 am no heat call
5. Yard Maintenance – tenant responsible for upkeep of property, mowing lawn, shoveling snow, cleaning up debris and discarding garbage.
*High grass attracts rats and other rodents
6. Subletting- NO subletting- the predetermined number of occupants using unit should remain constant- Less wear and tear on unit
*Avoids resourceful tenants that rent out rooms or run a sideline business in unit
7. Extermination- after 3 months tenant responsible for removal of cockroaches
*Roaches are usually imported from the city via visitors with cardboard boxes or luggage
8. Town violations/fines- tenant responsible for payment of any town violations or fines imposed on landlord by their actions, such as unlawful storage, high uncut grass, nuisance/quality of life complaints, etc… They caused it they pay.
9. Plumbing- landlord responsible for normal wear and tear but not for willful destruction of plumbing due to tenant negligence, such as lodged items obstructing pipes (kitchen p-traps and toilets) or m-80’s flushed down toilet bursting pipes.
10. Electrical system- tenant not allowed to rewire any portion of unit- such as adding a 220 line without landlord approval
11. Graffiti- tenant responsible for any graffiti damage to rental caused by them or their guests or affiliations with any clubs/gangs. Tagging strictly prohibited.
12. Roof- landlord responsible for wear and tear only- NOT responsible for holes caused by unauthorized installation of satellite dishes or other antennas.
13. Late Fees- pay by the 1st of the month tenant gets $25.00 discount, pay from 1st-10th normal rent, after 10th $50.00 late fee
14. Pets- unauthorized pets will raise rent and security by a predetermined amount and can and will be cause for eviction action. Avoids excess damage caused by animals
*If pets are allowed- cats have to be neutered and declawed and dog feces has to be picked up on daily basis. Large or violent dogs usually excluded for consideration- BIG Liability issue.
Suggested list of dog breed restrictions:
Akita, American Bull Dog, American Pit Bull Terrier, American or Bull Staffordshire Terrier, Briard, Borzio Hounds, Bull Mastif, Bull Terrier, Cane Corso, Chow, Dalmation, Doberman Pincher, Dogo, German Shepard, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Husky, Irish Wolf Hound, Komondor, Malamute, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pitt Bull, Rottweiler, Scottish Deerhound, Spitz, St. Bernard, Stafford Terrier, Presa Canarios, Shar pei, Toso Inu and Wolf-Dog Hound.
15. Unlawful storage on property- unregistered vehicles such as boats, cars, wave-runners, motorcycles, etc…cannot be stored on property. If removal is required tenant pays.
16. Alterations to property- tenant cannot reconfigure unit by tearing down or adding walls or adding sinks, extra toilets or bathrooms without landlord approval.
17. Painting policy- painting rooms with exotic or hard to paint over colors like Chinese red (takes 3 coats of primer to paint over Chinese red) or black is strictly prohibited.
18. Renter’s insurance- tenant has to get renters insurance protecting landlord from any unexpected damage or liability caused by tenant. This policy also protects contents of tenant’s belongings if an unexpected peril like fire or a burst pipe occurs.
19. Appliances policy- landlord does not supply washer /dryer, if landlord does they are taken in AS-IS condition- tenant responsible for repairs. This same AS-IS policy applies to stove , refrigerator and dishwasher.